Monday, July 13, 2009

Learning from a Crash Test Dummy


I think marriage can look a lot like a crash test at times. Have you ever imaged what the first few moments of being a crash test dummy are like? You know actually it could be considered to be quite nice… at first.

Restfully positioned and strapped into a brand new car - Air conditioning on – temperature perfect, favorite station on, leather seat adjusted just right, that wonderful “new car” smell in your nostrils. Wow, You know life doesn’t seem so bad for those decked out with yellow and black cranial tattoos.

They don’t seem to be too concerned for what is about to happen. Probably because they don’t actually have a brain. Warning them of what is about to happen is well …futile. Expecting them to be prepared for the road ahead is well…..dreaming.

Ignorantly they smoothly glide towards their future……. Blam! Barracade Impact!

I must confess that I am a recovered crash test dummy. I like my brainless friends didn’t see much coming at me until the impacts. Then frantically I tried to figure out what just happened and why. How much better would it have been if I had sought out an experienced crash test dummy to learn from prior to life’s marital collisions?

I guess I simply considered myself immune to such things. I let my pride and my arrogance keep me from seeking wisdom.

The advice this crash test dummy has is to find a couple that has successfully lived through the impacts of life and let their experience, their understanding, and their wisdom strengthen and inspire your marriage. Find a godly couple that will be a marriage mentor to you.

Learn from a couple of crash test dummies. Don’t become one!

No comments:

Post a Comment